The longer I am on this diet, the more I am learning about myself. Last Tuesday was three weeks into the diet. I continued to make progress. I started at 229 pounds. My last weigh in was 220. In three weeks, I dropped nine pounds. It has been another week and I continue to follow my meal plan. This past week was different. We had Thanksgiving and a small birthday celebration. Thanksgiving morning, I had 2 eggs and a cinnamon roll for breakfast. The plate you see in the blog introduction was my plate on Thanksgiving. I did not have seconds. On Sunday, I had a cupcake.

I have spoken before about Shannon at Revolutionary Wellness. She is my Health Coach and my weekly accountability check in person. We spoke at length last Tuesday about my rigidity and unwillingness to stray from the meal plan. She reassured me several times that one indulgence like that would not be the end of the world for me. So, this past week, I tried my best to relax and enjoy some food responsibly. Today we have the post-Thanksgiving weigh in. I think I have come to terms with the fact that I will have weeks where I do not lose weight. I may also gain a pound or two. We will have the answer to that next week.

It is not about winning the battle but winning the war. My goal is 215 pounds by January 1st and under 200 pounds by March 16th. I should not be as worried about one week where I do not make a change. Those will happen. This could be that week. I will find out at 2:00 pm. Whatever the outcome of today, it is not the end of the world.

I have been trying to take the conversations I have with Shannon and apply them not only to my diet but to other parts of my life as well. So, this past week I did two things that my family thought I would never do.

The first thing I did was to take a day off. I took the Friday after Thanksgiving off to help my family and my parents get started on decorating for Christmas. I’m glad I did. Friday morning my wife and daughter went out to get new Christmas decorations and I went over to help my mother prep a room for the painters thar were coming this week.

The room we prepped was my Grandparents bedroom. They have both passed and my mother has had a tough time going through their things. Friday, we made a breakthrough. After the room was prepped, we went through one of their closets. We found decades worth of Christmas decorations and other antiques. As we were going through the boxes, we were able to have a great conversation about her parents and began formulating plans to move forward with cleaning out their basement apartment.

My grandmother passed in 2017. In the time until his death in 2019, one of the things that bothered my grandfather was a mortar and pestle set. This set had been in the family for generations. Somehow, they had lost the pestle. He was so worried that it would not be found. As I dug through one box that contained my grandmother’s holiday cookie cutters, there it was. The pestle had been wrapped in an old towel, probably from one of their previous moves. Tears of joy ran down my mother’s face. She was so happy that the two pieces were finally back together. It was a good day.

The second thing I did was to promise my family that there would be no “Daddy Go Mode”. This phrase is what my wife and daughter refer to whenever I keep to a strict timeline and try to get more done than any mortal is capable of in a specific amount of time. Ever since I met my wife, she has accused me of overworking and not taking any breaks. She called it simply “Go Mode”. When our daughter was born, it became “Daddy Go Mode”. She was always on me to take breaks, eat three meals a day and relax a little.

So, this weekend, “Daddy Go Mode” was suspended. I tried to relax as my daughter was late getting ready to go to a small birthday gathering (the very same one in which I had that one, and only one, delicious cupcake). When we got into the car, we were met with horrible traffic trying to get out of Fredericksburg. I was quite surprised that I did not snap and get upset. I just took deep breaths and enjoyed the beautiful weather. We got to our destination and everything was fine.

So, to come full circle, I took the conversation that Shannon and I had last Tuesday about food and found ways to apply it to other aspects of my life. Our attitudes and actions determine who and what we are. I am continuing to change my physical appearance with weight loss, but by taking a good look at myself as a person and seeing what other changes I can make to change my emotional health as well. As Ferris Bueller said, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around, you could miss it.”

I am learning to take better care of my mental health as well. It is ok to take time off. Work will still be there. Not everything has to be a rush. It is ok to relax and take life as it comes. The things that I would get stressed out about, will they really matter in Five years? Probably not.

So, I am trying to live each day as complete and happy as it can be. Enjoy the little things. Do not stress but keep your eyes on your goals. It was a good week. See you next Tuesday.

Written by: Craig Repanshek

0/5 (0 Reviews)